Thursday, January 13, 2005

Day 32 - Kevin's side of the story

The snake moved with lightning speed and struck at my right foot sinking its' fangs deep into my flesh. I cried out in pain.

I screamed again in great pain as the fangs remained in my body for a moment. The snake then slithered into the bush and disappeared.

I fell down, the pain still almost unbearable. The blood was now beginning to trickle out making crimson spots on my trousers.

It had to have been a very poisonous because I could already feel my body weakening rapidly from the venom it had injected into my blood stream.

My mind raced trying to remember every first Aid tip I had ever read on how to deal with snakebites. There was this thing about stopping blood flow by tying something tightly around the limb, close to the snakebite.

I tore a section of my shirt and desperately tried to tie it on my sheen just above the bite. Already I could feel that I was weakening by the minute. My leg was now beginning to swell around the area where the snake had struck with its’ deadly fangs.

I finished tying the cloth as best as I could and wondered just how effective it was going to be.

I had no alternative now but to rush back to the health center. I had no choice, even though Teresa wanted me dead. It was better to die at the small health center from a bullet than to die out here all alone from snake venom. I turned around and retraced my steps, limping badly but hurrying as much as I could manage, knowing that time was against me. I had to get medical attention for the snakebite fast.

Even as I limped along I knew that there was no way I would make it to the health center alone. The only thing that could save me was if the Masai had pursued me. There was a chance that they would get me treated first. But so far there was absolutely no sign that they had followed.

I could feel myself passing out and I desperately tried to shout for help at the top of my voice. But even the strength to lift up my voice was now no longer there. I forced myself to keep going, keeping my eyes on the path directly ahead of my feet. I was now feeling very dizzy so I held up my head and looked to the horizon to try and reduce the feeling.

Peering into the distance, I could still not see the health center ahead. I must have ran quite a distance when I was getting away from Teresa and the Masai. I kept going, hoping and praying that I would somehow catch a glimpse of the Health Center.

That is what I was trying to do when I felt myself passing out. The last thing I remember was the ground rushing towards my face as I lost consciousness.

=============
Shopping around is really the only way to guarantee that you save money. That's why carInsurance.com is the easiest way to purchase your auto insurance online. It is so easy that in some states the whole process can be completed and you can have proof of insurance in your hands in 15 minutes. The goal here is for you to see how much you can save with their services and this site is very easy to use. There is really no better way to get a free online car insurance quote. You will not only save lots of cash, but you'll also save your precious time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Ruiz said...

Oh the irony! I love that twist!

A tourniquet. He's going to lose his leg isn't he?

Nausea...excuse me, I'm squeamish.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Sarah Ruiz said...

I know you're working on a novel here, Chris, but yesterday I came across an interesting forum type site.

http://www.eastoftheweb.com/uncut/

It's short stories site but I think you might like to read some of the stories and comments on the board.

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Satellite TV!