Thursday, December 23, 2004

Day 22 - Teresa's side of the story

There was what I thought might be a very slow pulse.

Yes, there it was again. A rather faint heart beat, but it was there. Thank God.

But now I knew that we needed to get him some medical attention, pronto. But where? We were in the middle of nowhere, where could we possible find a doctor?

"We need to get him to a doctor," I said turning to one of the brave Masai warriors.

They replied in their dialect and I couldn't understand a word.

"Damn it. We need to get this man to hospital, this is an emergency. Doesn't anybody understand English here?

They just stared back at me not understanding a word.

I remembered that just before the shooting had started, there had been somebody translating for David. They had to be here somewhere.

My eyes saw the other man who had been shot lying lifelessly on the ground. He had to be the translator. Now what would I do?

The ringing of a cell phone somewhere interrupted my thoughts. It wasn't Davids’ so where was it ringing?

It seemed to be coming from Bat-ears' pockets. I needed to answer it. Maybe it was somebody who would help out.

I made my way to where his body lay and quickly searched his pockets, finding the tiny Nokia mobile in one of his trouser pockets. It was still ringing and I answered it.

"We will be there in 10 minutes. Prepare the white woman. We are finalizing this business today," a familiar man’s voice said without waiting for me to speak.

And before I could answer, they went off the line.

I had never been so shocked in my life. I had read many stories of betrayals and suffered my fair share of some minor ones in my life. But this was something totally different. Somebody I knew very well wanted me dead, so that they could avoid sharing 2 million dollars with me.

So it was Kevin after all. There was no mistaking that voice.

The bastard. My former lover, the man I thought I knew and would trust my life with. I had a mind to call him back right there and then and tell him a thing or two. Then I remembered where I was.

I also realized that I was now in some real serious crisis.

David was barely alive and Kevin would be here in 10 minutes. I had no illusions of him hesitating to finish off both David and I. Between us we now knew too much to remain alive.

But how was I going to do it when these natives spoke no English?

I was now in a panic.

1 Comments:

Blogger mythreefeet said...

Wow quick post but it answered a few of the questions from my last comment on Day 21.

So Kevin DID have something to do with this.

I'm still a little wary about the language thing. How can she tell when the dialects change if she doesn't know the language? Or does she know it, even a little?

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Satellite TV!