Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Day 26 - Kevin's side of the story

As I drove through the bush at high speed headed for Douglas' house (the late Douglas) my mind went back to the meeting I had with Teresa which had set this whole crazy adventure in motion.

Strangely enough the thing I remembered most about that night was not even our discussion but they way she looked at the restaurant in LA. Teresa wore a red flowing evening robe that I had never seen her in before. It hugged her just enough to send any man's blood racing.

I stood up as she approached, enjoying the attention we were getting from the other tables. I sensed that Teresa did too.

"Hi, sorry I'm late," she said. Her crimson lipstick was glistening and my eyes remained there for a moment before I could tear them away. I've never seen lips that are so ready for a serious kiss.

"That's alright, Teresa, I'm just glad you made it. You look gorgeous."

“Thank you. I can tell from the way you’re looking at me.”

We ordered and I forced my mind to the business at hand.

"I want to advice you not to go ahead with the divorce." I told Teresa. That got her immediate attention, as I knew it would.

"I'm confused Kevin. I thought that's what you wanted, you said you wanted to marry me."

"Yes, I still do. I love you Teresa, always will. But you'll have to trust me."

"Before you tell me, you should know that just the site of Ed these days makes me want to throw up."

I laughed so loudly that I startled her.

"What's so funny?"

"I'm just imagining you throwing up on the shoes of Ed, the impeccable investment banker. He'd have a fit. He's too clean and neat to have the contents of your guts all over his black shiny shoes."

"And that's the problem, he’s boring and bothersome. I don't know what I ever saw in the man."

"You saw money my dear. Lots of money and power."

"Kevin are you calling me a gold digger?"

"Not exactly my dear. You have too much class for that. But you're still human and you are a woman."

"Kevin, you're sounding strange tonight and you've not even finished your first glass of wine."

"Let me explain myself. Do you know how people used to get married in the Stone Age?"

"No. But where is all this leading to?"

I now had her full attention and I was enjoying every moment of it.

"Two savages would spot a woman they wanted and they'd fight to the death for her. The winner took the woman home to his cave. You know how that applies to you?"

"No," she said with an incredulous look on her eyes.

“The big turn on for women has always been the power men wield. In the stone age it was physical power, these days it is dollar power. You’re just a normal woman Teresa.”

“Yes, but he was such a gentlemen when we first met.”

“Still is. Only that you know him better now. Much better.”

“I can’t stand the man Kevin. We sleep in separate bed rooms but even the brief moments we meet are too much for me.”

“Why do you hate the man so much Teresa? He’s a very rich man.”

“He’s so mean and self centered.”

“That’s how he got rich in the first place.” I could see she was getting upset and so I changed tact.

“Teresa, you’ll soon be rid of him for the rest of your life with no chance of ever seeing him again.”

“Can that happen immediately?”

“He’s dying Teresa.”

“What?” she had lifted her wine glass and it stopped in mid air and froze there for a moment.

“The doctors say in another six months, the cancer will have eaten up most of his insides.”

“H-How did you find out that?”

“I’m his lawyer, remember?”

There was a long pause where neither of us talked. I could almost hear her think, her brain creaking around in deep thought and scheming trying to find a way to gain maximum from this new information she had just received. I could almost read her mind and this is why her next question did not surprise me at all.

“His will?”

“Forget it Teresa, you know who he’ll leave most of his money to.”

“Edgar his son from his first marriage, he adores the boy.”

“Exactly.”

“All the more reason why I should go ahead with the divorce.”

“There is a better and easier way.”

“If you stay married to him until his death, I can guarantee you two million dollars. We split 50/50. A million for you and a million for me.”

“But how?” she asked. I could see that she had licked her lips at the mention of a million bucks.

That’s really the moment I knew that I had her and that the plan I had in place would work like a dream.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Is there anybody out there still? Or are we all still on holiday?

11:12 PM  
Blogger mythreefeet said...

hey, im still alive but i dont exactly have much time to read. im in italy studying abroad and the people who provide us with computers only let us use them for 1.5 hours. yes, i know that is way more than enough time to read and comment but for today, i have already used my time emailing people.

i haven't read posts 25 and 26 yet but i see you are now telling from kevins point of view. interesting. thats a nice twist i was not expecting :) perhaps tonight i will go the internet cafe near my apartment and read your posts. take care and keep writing even if i'm gonna be slowwww at commenting. im sure you will do fine and you can always go back and change things ;)

listen to swifteye too, she's got some great things to say :)

5:20 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Delighted to hear from you again my dear Atlanti. Happy New Year!!!

I don't know if this tip will help.

Go with a diskette to the cyber and save whatever stuff you're interested in to read in your offline computer back in the dorm.

Can also write mail and save in a diskette and simply paste and send during your limited time online.

I don't know if this is of any help.

5:39 AM  
Blogger Sarah Ruiz said...

Sorry I haven't been reviewing; school started again.

Now I shall comment!

I always wondered why all these characters (what, three of them?) all have minds that consistently go back to past events and scenes. Not that it's a bad thing but I have trouble seeing a sharp difference between each character.
You took on an extremely hard responsibility writing your story from three different viewpoints. I'm probably being far too cynical as other writers frequently write a story from many different POV's and all the writing and thoughts are obviously similar--too much to be believable as seperate minds and thoughts. The reason I say this is because I wonder if there is an underlying reason why each writes in the same way.
Of course, if I'm the only one who is slightly put off by this, don't bother to worry about it.

But for now I'll go and read the next two entries that I missed. Keep up the good plot work!

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Satellite TV!