Saturday, December 18, 2004

Day 18 - Teresa's side of the story

I started making my plans.

Although there was very little that I knew about African men, my guess was that men were pretty much the same anywhere in the world. They reacted to women, whatever the situation. I probably had an advantage because I was white. I figured that it was going to be a lot easier than if he had also been white.

I tried to think of another way of getting out of this situation without doing the disgusting thing I planned to do, but I just couldn't. There was just no other way out but to seduce this bat-eared guy I just hated with the whole of my guts. It was my only chance to save my life.

But the doubts were also still there. He looked brave enough. But was he brave enough to ignore orders from those who had hired him? I had no way of knowing and that was just a chance that I would have to take.

"Can I talk to you for a short while?" I asked the next time he brought the Coke and slices of dry, stale bread. I tried to give him one of my smiles. The one that had never failed me with men.

"About what?" At least he looked interested as he placed the Coke and bread on the floor so as to untie my hands.

"Seeing that I'm going to die very soon, I've decided to make the best of the few days I have left."

"And..."

"I get very bored lying here the whole day with nothing to do."

"And..." He had finished untying my hands now and now stood over me looking intently at me.

"Can't we just talk and..."

"That will not work with me woman," he was now almost shaking with rage and I just couldn't understand why. "T-that is so disgusting that I could kill you this very minute."

I was relieved when he walked off, because as usual, he was still holding his revolver.

The shaky door to the hut slammed and I could hear the key turning. What had upset him so much? This man who had told me in no uncertain terms that he was going to rape me before my planned execution. What had upset him so much that he was shaking with rage? He had never left me with my hands free. Now I had done something that had upset him so much that he had stormed off, forgetting my untied hands.

Tears rushed with a ferocious speed to my eyes.

"Not now," I tried to tell myself in vain. I was soon sobbing loudly. Even this stupid bat-eared African man didn't want me. I was as good as dead. Nothing would save me now.

I don't know for how long I cried my heart there feeling more hopeless and desperate than I had ever felt in my entire life, but when I stopped, I had a splitting headache. The Coke and loaf of bread were still in the plastic shopping bag close to my feet. I ignored them.

The room was always dark, so it was difficult to tell what time of the day or night it was.

I heard the key turning on the door again and I braced myself for the worst.

He came in walking slower that he usually did.

"Why have you not eaten your food?"

"I-I wasn't hungry... but I can eat it just now and..." I started reaching for the shopping bag. He lifted up his hand.

"No. It's okay. You don't have to eat to please me."

“I’m sorry for upsetting you.”

“That’s okay. It wasn’t you.”

I was still too scared to ask who it was then. He still had his faithful revolver in his right hand.

“I don’t owe you an explanation, but I guess it’s good to talk.”

I was confused, shocked, perplexed. What was he going to tell me now?



===============Words of Wisdom
How cautious can a business be and still end up on the receiving end of vioxx lawsuits? All of life is a risk so better to take calculated ones all the time.

All work and no play makes jack a dull boy. Take in a movie like Neil Young: Heart of Gold to relax.

Take a little time off even if it is from stock option trading.

5 Comments:

Blogger mythreefeet said...

This Day was a very fun read for me. It was like reading one of those novels you can't take your eyes off of until you finish it, and left me wanting more lol. I like how that bat-eared guy was so angry and then so drastically changed his attitude after he came back... makes me wonder what's going on outside the hut that Teresa can't see. And I wonder if he's got any kind of connection with the people in LA who had David sign the contract. Maybe he's not as bad as Teresa makes him seem...

I dunno those are just some of the thoughts that come to mind as I read. I can't help but try to predict what will happen next :P

Great job, I think Day 18 is something you should look to when writing any kind of novel. It's got the qualities of one of those page turners I talked about above. Keep it up :)

11:20 AM  
Blogger Sarah Ruiz said...

Ahh, you don't normally end with cliffhangers! Now I'm frustrated. I like the way you refer to the guy as the 'bat-eared man' because it's....there's a word for it I'm sure....epigraph? It's on the tip of my tongue. Oh well..but it's good.
I just have a question about the second paragraph. I don't get it.
"I probably had an advantage because I was white. I figured that it was going to be a lot easier than if he had also been white."
Yeah, not getting. Explain to me before my carefully laid world comes crashing down!
You better update soon too.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

The thing that drives seduction is mystery. I didn't mean this comment to be racial. It is not. It is reality. You wonder what to expect, having had no previous experience with a person of another race.

And especially Africans having been brainwashed by decades of colonial rule, by the British or the French in most parts of Africa, there is always this thing about landing a white woman.

So Teresa is right in believeing that it should be a lot easier for her to seduce an African that if he had been white... or will it be?

Let's wait and see shall we?

Hope than answers your question, swifteye.

By the way, are you in a position to explain what you mean about your carefully costructed world coming crashing down? What do you mean?

9:07 PM  
Blogger Sarah Ruiz said...

Actually I don't remember what I meant but it's a reference to my omnipotence and onmiscient personality.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Sarah Ruiz said...

Ah, and because my brain works slower than humans, I have yet another comment. Actually a question. Just about what race you are, Chris. Can't tell by the name.
(I'm hispanic)

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Satellite TV!