Sunday, December 19, 2004

Day 19 - Teresa's side of the story

"I don't understand why I am making this confession to you, " he begun, as if still unsure of whether to tell it all or not. "I have never talked about this to anybody else. You'll be the first to know this little secret of mine."

My curiosity had now peaked. What could this possibly be? How was it going to affect my plan?

"But I guess it is a lot easier talking to somebody who you know will be dead in a couple of days."

That sent a chill up my spine. He said it casually, like it was all in a day's work to kill people, but tell them some shocking stuff about your life before doing it.

"Once, a long time ago, I loved this woman. She was a local girl. There was nothing that I couldn't do for her."

Now my curiosity was over the edge. This guy in love? He had to be kidding.

"We did everything together and we came up with the idea of looking for better prospects for our life abroad. We would pretend that we were going to further our studies in some university. It was the only way to get round the strict immigration procedures against Africans going to America. We planned everything but at the last minute something went wrong. We had arranged to leave together but it couldn't work. So we quickly changed our plans. We decided that she leave first. She would then get settled and send my air ticket later. I gave her all the money, my savings. Some of the money I had even earned by killing somebody, a hit job.

"To cut a long, long story short. She never sent the ticket. She got married and settled in America. Everything that we had enjoyed together had been a joke. An act.

I could see the fury building up in his eyes all over again and I shuddered.

"I felt so used. Like I was a toy in her hands. From that moment, I knew what women were all about. Bastards, bitches..."

He had really lost it now and sensed that this was going to end up with me very badly hurt.

"Women always, always want to use men. I hate that. So I always do it to them before they do it to me. Does that make any sense to you."

His eyes were really shining now, only the way the eyes of a totally insane person would. He reached for my blouse and tore it off with such force that even my bra was ripped off. I didn't even try to resist him, knowing that it would be totally useless and I would probably get hurt more. Still, he slapped me so hard that he drew blood. It trickled from somewhere inside my mouth and I could taste it.

"I hate women...ninawachukia, wanafaa kubakwa…"

I couldn't catch everything he was saying because he seemed to mix it with his native language. Closing my eyes I braced myself for what I knew was coming.

But it didn't. He was lying on top of me with his pants pulled down, but nothing was happening. I could feel his weight but nothing else.

After sometime I felt his manhood very limp in front of him. He started pressing it against me, but to no avail, the tiny thing was still very limp and uncooperative. After a while he rolled away in frustration and sunk to his knees on the floor besides me. His head buried in his hands.

Then I heard some noise coming from him that I could not explain at first. His whole body shook. Were those sobs I was hearing? From tough man Bat-ears himself? Impossible! My ears had to be playing tricks.

I listened closely. Yes, they were sobs all right. The big man was crying.

I was more frightened than I had ever been in my life. So frightened that I didn’t make a move to cover my nakedness or change my position. I just lay there naked and with my legs wide open just the way he had forced them. This man was a brute, a very sick brute. It was now clear to me that he was so unpredictable that I was extremely lucky to be still alive.

After a while, I recovered and pulled my legs together, covering myself with some of shreds that were left of my clothing.

Should I make a run for it? If there was an opportunity then this was the best one. My hands were free, the door was open, and Bat-ears was still sobbing on the floor. He probably wouldn’t even notice if I made a quick run for it.

But what if he recovered and followed me with the gun? He would brutally kill me in the bush somewhere, especially considering the mood he was in. But I figured I had very little to lose. Even if he killed me, at least I would die fighting and that was much better than dying like some scared chicken quietly waiting for it’s fate.

I slowly sat up, keeping my eyes carefully trained on Bat-ears. He was still sobbing his cruel heart out. I started tip-toeing towards the door. That girl who had left him would probably never know how lucky she’d been. I doubted that she was the whole reason that he was this sick in the mind. He had told only his side of the story. The girl probably had her side too. Maybe she saw something else in him, she wanted no part of.

I was now at the door, not caring about my exposed breasts and the tatters that were left of my skirt that barely covered me.

It was at that moment that I regretted my decision to try and escape hundred times over. That’s because Bat-ears suddenly recovered and looked directly at me, our eyes met.

6 Comments:

Blogger mythreefeet said...

Bat-ears is nuts lol. He is very confusing with his sudden mood swings. But I'm sure that's how you were intending him to be, and you succeed in showing him through Teresa's point of view (not your own). If she's confused, then so is everyone else in the audience :P

I see the parallel between Bat-ears' previous relationship and Teresa's current one. Hopefully Teresa and David don't... you get the idea ;)

I wonder what's going on with David while his poor wife is nearly being raped and murdered by some insane-seeming guy in the middle of nowhere. Maybe I shouldn't feel sorry for her because of how she's tricked him this whole time... and probably Bat-ears has a point about women who just use their lovers.

Here's my dilema... since Bat-ears is never consistent with his personality, I feel like he's probly not as bad a guy as it seemed at first... but then at times I feel like he is a horrible person with no heart. So because of this dilema I don't know whether I hope Teresa will make a run for it, or stay to try and learn something more about him. I think I'm leaning more towards Teresa not trying to run away... just because I'm sort of selfish and I wan't to find out what is wrong with this guy. He's totally baffling and my mind just refuses to accept moving on without the clarification LOL. I guess I'll have to wait and see :)

6:37 AM  
Blogger Sarah Ruiz said...

I wish I could see Alanti's post at the same time I see Day 19. I could make more points.

I noticed how similar the Bat-eared man and Teresa are. They both find the other sex to be cruel and calculating, have both been victims (i assume based on my vague recollection of an earlier post), and both take their anger out on other people (you get the idea now). However, there is a side of Bat-ears that startles me. Well, I suppose not. I really liked this post, and I will assume (until I hear otherwise) that this story needs no revisions and will be commenting as such from here on out.

Ah, and interesting thing about the characters is their difference in terms of constitution. Teresa sounds to me cold and calculating while Bat-ears is still wavering on the threshold of a mental breakdown. This has been your most intriguing post yet, or maybe my brain just started working again.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Sarah Ruiz said...

I doubt I'll get to post this on Day 20 comments before Atlanti does so I'll just put it here:

first disclaimers, sorry for getting your name wrong in the post before this one, Atlanti, and ignore the advertisment, Chris.But I also enjoy writing and was hoping since those reading Chris's novel might be able to give me some tips on my short story: it's under my profile in the "Vivir" blog. Thanks, I would greatly appreciate it.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

You're welcome to advertise here Swifteye, anytime. I have no problem with that. But lets also be sensitive about the others. What do you other guys feel about it? Don't you guys think a writer starting out always needs a break, a little helping hand? Pls say something somebody.

Now Swifteye also wants to know what race I am. Quite a question and the answer is quite a shocker, I assure you my dear friends. The first thing I thought was I wondered what impact it would have on this novel all you nice people are helping me write - what effect would my revelation have? Would it increase the popularity of this blog, or decrease it?

Then being the marketing person I always am, I thought why not turn the big question into a marketing event. I think it is a rather unfair question but I will answer it as long as I receive... (let's think of a rather impossible number). When I receive 50 posts from different people who all want to know my race. I'll start counting right away. With a little luck I won't have to answer this question until I am through with this novel.

9:19 PM  
Blogger mythreefeet said...

Swifteye, I don't mind if you advertise here and I'll go check it later today ;)

Yes, I think a writer can really use the opinions of others to try and improve his/her techniques. You can always learn something from other people so it's a good idea to take their comments into consideration, although, you shouldn't let them push you around either.

About knowing your race... honestly, I have wondered the same thing but you are probably right in not revealing it. A story is a story, and it doesn't have to be related to it's author's background or experiences in life (but I'm sure these do have some influence on it). I don't think knowing your race, age or anything like that about you is really relevant to the story itself, and actually may add a level of complexity that will not be at all helpfull to it. Maybe we should just try and focus on one thing for now, and that is the work you are producing... after that, the details may add a little spice to the experience of it all. Just my opinion.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Sarah Ruiz said...

Okay, you're being difficult, I can live with that. But you've procured my curiosity again. Well, I doubt your genetic history says very much about your story though your experiences might.
Seriously I was just wondering because of your comment on race in the story--yes, I see that statement Teresa made as author intrusion, don't ask me why, I can't back it up credibly.

I usually have trouble criticizing (constructively) other people's works because I am very conscious of ego and feelings but I think the anonymous character of the internet makes it easier.

oh good, I thought of another question(s) for you, Chris. You don't have to answer specifically but I want to know if you have previous experience as a writer, if you are writing this story as you go and posting exactly how much you have at the end of a day...I'm actually looking for an identifying style in your posts but I haven't found one quite yet. I'll find it though, fear not.

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Satellite TV!