Saturday, March 26, 2005

Day 38

"Turn round and face us," the perfect-English voice barked.

I obeyed and slowly turned to face the three men. I was shocked. They were barely in their teens. Heavily-built baby-faced boys. I wanted to laugh. Only that the automatic weapon which looked like an AK47 to me, also looked real enough and I had little doubt that baby-faced or not the youngster knew how to use it.

My attention was attracted to the youngster on my left who reached for his pocket and drew a digital camera. He carefully took several shots of me.

"Ready?" perfect-English asked impatiently. "Remember that you need to take others of him when he’s dead." He said it as casually as somebody preparing to slaughter a chicken for an afternoon meal.

It was that comment that got my mind working again and brought home the reality of what I was facing.

I was about to die in some filthy smelly alley in the back street of some African capital. No, I definitely did not want it to end this way. My mind raced. This was no robbery; it looked like a hit job. No marks for guessing who might have ordered it. But did Teresa know about it? Is that how much she didn’t care about me? Well, I would deal with that later; right now I had to survive.

The boy was already steadying the gun ready to fire.

"Wait," I shouted. The boy stopped a puzzled expression on his face.

"I know that you are being paid to do this, I can pay you more not to do it."

I was watching the boy’s face carefully and was relived when I saw a flicker of interest on them. He looked nervously at his colleagues.

"I can help you with the digital photograph. Using some software you can send a picture of me looking dead that will fool anybody. Besides the person who is supposed to pay you is in police custody and..."

"How much?" he asked.

"Five thousand dollars," I blurted out. I could see that he was trying to do some quick calculations. I made it easier for him since I had just been paid the exact amount in local currency.

"385,000 Kenya shillings."

"Do you have the money here?" perfect-English asked.

That was when I made the sort of mistake that costs people their lives.

"Yes, I have it right here. Do we have a deal?"

The boy who had taken the digital photograph of me grabbed the gun from perfect-English at such speed that I did not react until the gun was pointed at me and was already being fired. Perfect-English moved and tackled his own partner in crime to the ground even as the deafeningly loud sound of automatic weapon fire filled the deserted alley.

============
Contrary to what most people think, prices in general have not gone up, it is just that our paper money has lost a lot of value, more so because it is no longer backed by real money, real silver and gold. Did you know that the same weight in silver still buys gas at the price of decades ago (25 cents a gallon). That’s why investment experts have long-recommend portfolio diversification and that 20% or more of an investor's assets be devoted to tangible assets such as gold, silver and platinum bullion and bullion coins. This is a prudent asset diversification strategy critical in today’s uncertain world that is made possible by Monex a company that has been helping clients buy gold bullion since 1967.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Ruiz said...

Yes! Now, this is an interesting turn of events.
Maybe it's that I haven't read this story in quite a while, but I enjoyed this new development Quite A Bit.
Good job!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Unable to make latest postings, there seems to be some technical problem preventing posting at the main dashboard.
Will try again in a few hours.

3:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Satellite TV!