Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Day 1

It was going to be a good safari, the tour guide had promised in his broken English.

Then why was their blood on the carpet in my room?

I called reception and reported my findings. I had to repeat it thrice for her to understand what I was saying. The next thing I knew, the hotel manager and somebody else I had never seen before were knocking on my door like there was a fire.

"I've just discovered it, when we came back from the game drive," I told them wiping the blood I had alreay touched from my fingers with a handkerchief that was mercifully not white.

Was I bleeding anywhere, the manager asked. As if I would bleed and not know it.

And the questions went on and on. Just questions and no answers on my first trip to Africa and this beautiful lodge out in the most famous wild game sanctuary in the world, the Maasai Mara.

I still couldn't believe that I was actually here. At the beginning it had seemed like one of those exotic dreams I was going to wake up from at any minute. Now this
=====================
Best tips I've seen on the web to help a low traffic site generate income.
=====================
warm human blood on my carpet had jolted me back to reality. I was in the African bush and somebody had just gotten injured badly and maybe had...

I tried not to think about it but I just couldn't get it out of my mind. This was blood, so there had to be either a person who required medical attention or...

a body somewhere.

"Are the lion's here maneaters," I asked, rudely interrupting their endless questions.

The room went very quiet for a second or so. The two men exchanged uncomfortable looks. For the first time I noticed the hotel managers deep scar just above his spectacled, large round eyes.

The other man's shining ebony face had broken into a sweat. He reached for a handkerchief in his navy blue jacket which was at least a size too small.

Then they both blurted out something at the same time. I didn't get it and neither did I care to because it was at that precise moment I remembered my bride.

===================
There are some sites with very valuable and practical advice that can help you virtually instantly. Here is one. Want to increase your Adsense earnings with excellent tips.

7 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

I'll post Day 2 when I receive a comment from a reader. I'll be checking this blog regularly. The minute I receive a single comment, I'll post Day 2 of this novel in progress. Come on folks, give this writer some encouragement.

Chris - author of this blog.

9:39 PM  
Blogger mythreefeet said...

Hmm have you written Day 2 already? Or are you just writing as you go? Anyway, sounds interesting and you caught my attention ;) Can't wait to see what happens next. I'm not gonna present myself as a knowledgable writer, cuz that's definately something I am not lol. But if you want any tips, I'd say you should leave some of the "had" out. You can still do past tense without them ;) It's just a little monotonous to read the same word repeatedly. But I like the story and your style so far. Good luck with it :)

3:59 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Ouch.

Thanks though. It's wonderful to hear from somebody, even when it's (such constructive) criticism. Thanx a lot. Would you mind telling me how you found me please?
Day 2 coming up

6:21 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Day 2

The word 'bride' even unpronounced and still in my mind sounded rather strange. Had you told me just one month ago that I would be married and on my honey moon in Africa I would have laughed so loud that the dead would have woken up.

You see I'm an entrepreneur. An online ecommerce entrepreneur. I was on the verge of a major breakthrough towards making my big fortune online when I met her.

It happened strangely enough close to my office at the library in downtown LA. (that's where I usually hire a computer for an hour at a time for my netpreneur adventures).

(What do you mean asking me why I don't have a computer of my own, haven't you read all those stories about how entrepreneurs start off? They start small and grow very big and that's exactly what I was doing. Even Bill Gates sisn't start off with a computer of his own.)

She didn't seem to mind much that I was in a city drugs rehabilitation program and... well that's not really interesting stuff and neither is it relevant to this story.

It started with a warm bright smile from her. I couldn't remember the last time a nice lady smiled like that at me. It was probably somebody getting a fix in... there I go again giving stuff that's not relevant to the story.

Yes, that smile. It didn't make my knees weak or any of that stupid stuff that's supossed to happen. But it was something.

We talked briefly about the library and what we were doing there. I wanted the conversation to end as quickly as possible, she seemed to want it to continue forever. Like she got her daily fix from talking to total strangers at the public library.

Well, I finally fled.

But we met again. And again. And again.

And then she invited me for a cup of coffee. What is it about women that makes a man want to talk and open up? Or was I trying so hard to get rid of her and end this ridiculous liaison?

Probably a bit of both. I just poured out all the gory details of my life. All fourty something years of them.

She listened and I thought I saw some alarm and panic register meomentarily on that thirty something blonde head of hers.

I braced myself for the worst. After all I consoled myself, my romatic liasions had never really amounted to anything. Accidental encounters would be a better word to describe them. (More on some of them later.)

So I assumed I would never see her again. And actually I didn't see her again for a while. A few days actually. But what upset me even more was that I was a little dissapointed that I didn't. That bothered me a lot. It bothered me more than the fact that I didn't see her. What was happening to me? I figured I had gotten rid of all the halucinations in my life for good. Now what was this? Me going soft over a woman? That's crazy. That's just not me.

Then I saw her again. In the strangest of places.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Can I have another reader comment before I post Day 3 please? I will be checking this blog every day and posting the next day as soon as I hear from at least one person. Thank you. I can feel the story warming up in my bones.

7:15 AM  
Blogger mythreefeet said...

Good question. I think I found you by clicking a series of random links. I was checking out this blog belonging to a guy participating in nanowrimo. Somewhere in his blog there was a link to blogs belonging specifically to novelists. It sorta interested me cuz the most interesting blogs out there are the one's with good writing ;)

10:11 AM  
Blogger Sarah Ruiz said...

About the same for me. This blog was at the top of the NaNoWriMo link page on the Blogger main.

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Satellite TV!